Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:54:39 -0800
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rushani@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/null in a chroot

> Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:03:40 -0400
> From: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
> Subject: Re: /dev/null in a chroot
> To: Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org>,	FreeBSD Questions
> 	<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/devfs -m $1 rule apply hide
> /sbin/devfs -m $1 rule apply path null unhide
>
> where $1 == the dev directory you mount within the chroot environment ...

This issue is currently biting users of /usr/ports/security/scponly
also, I believe.

I'm finding that recently-created scponlyc chroots do not permit sftp
login, although they do allow ftp login.  The client symptom is just:

$ sftp newuser@www
Connecting to www...
Password:
Connection closed
$

The cause appears to be that recent versions of
/usr/libexec/sftp-server will complain about of lack of access to
/dev/null and exit, resulting in the closed connection witnessed by
the remote client.

The solution appears to be to create a devfs in the scponlyc chroot.

This is a little disappointing, as scponlyc used to be delightfully
lightweight and low-maintenance.  At this point, my understanding is
that the devfs requirement means that now I must run a script at boot
time that iterates through a list of chroot'ed users and create dev
nodes within each jail.  scponlyc jails were previously a
set-and-forget type of setup.

What is the proper mechanism for setting up an arbitrary number of
scponlyc chroots at boot time?  /usr/share/examples/etc/devfs.conf
doesn't show an example of how to apply these rules to a non-default
dev path.  I have chosen to put a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

In case other scponly users are reading this in the archives, the
manual method that works for me with 6.2-PRE and scponly-4.6_1 is:

# cd ~user
# mkdir -p dev
# mount_devfs devfs dev
# devfs -m dev rule -s 1 applyset
# devfs -m dev rule -s 2 applyset

One then sees:

# ls -l dev
total 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,   6 Jan 12 17:15 null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  12 Jan 10 07:57 random
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         6 Jan 12 16:54 urandom@ -> random
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,   7 Jan 10 15:57 zero

which is more than enough to appease /usr/libexec/sftp-server.

chroots created some months ago contain lib versions with numbers
typically one less, such as ./usr/lib/libssh.so.2 in the older
chroot, versus ./usr/lib/libssh.so.3 in the newer.  The older
scponly chroots do net require devfs nodes!  I suspect they will
eventually break though, given enough time.

Given that scponlyc provides a setup_chroot.sh script that provides
hooks for OS-specific chroot setup steps, would it help the port
maintainer to provide the shell script below?  I have it installed
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/scponlyc.sh.

Jim

#!/bin/sh

# script to create devfs filesystems at boot time for scponlyc
# chroot'ed users.  We will read /etc/shells to determine
# where scponlyc is installed.  Then we'll iterate through
# each user in /etc/passwd to find users whose shell is set to
# scponlyc.  For each such user found, we will create a
# minimal devfs under ~/dev.

SCPONLYC=$(/usr/bin/grep "/scponlyc$" /etc/shells 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/tail -1)

make_devfs() {
# $1 is the user name whose home directory needs a minimal
# devfs created.  If ~/dev is not a directory, it will be
# deleted and replaced with a directory.

eval DEV="~$1/dev"
while /sbin/umount ${DEV} 2>/dev/null; do :; done
[ -h "${DEV}" ] && rm "${DEV}"
[ -f "${DEV}" ] && rm "${DEV}"
mkdir -p "${DEV}"
if /sbin/mount_devfs devfs "${DEV}"; then
  /sbin/devfs -m "${DEV}" rule -s 1 applyset || /sbin/umount ${DEV} 2>/dev/null
  /sbin/devfs -m "${DEV}" rule -s 2 applyset || /sbin/umount ${DEV} 2>/dev/null
fi

}

scponly_startup() {
# $1 is the path to the /etc/passwd file

if [ "x${SCPONLYC}" = "x" ]; then
  echo scponlyc is not defined in /etc/shells >&2
  exit 1
fi

/usr/bin/grep -v "^[ ]*#" "$1" |
  /usr/bin/awk -F: {'print $1 " " $7'} |
    while read USER SHELL; do
      if [ "x${SHELL}" = "x${SCPONLYC}" ]; then
        make_devfs "${USER}"
      fi
    done

}