Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:04:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@cygnus.rush.net>
To:        Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Privileged port problems

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Allen Campbell wrote:

> My ISP appears to be filtering outgoing packets for privileged source port
> numbers.  This is preventing me from accessing anoncvs.freebsd.org; the CVS
> client attempts to authenticate to anoncvs.freebsd.org using a privileged source
> port (via rsh) and the operation times out.  I also observe that rpcinfo as a
> non-privileged user works correctly, but fails as root because it then attempts
> to use a privileged source port.

Have you tried telling cvs to use ssh?

export CVS_RSH=ssh

this resolved my issues, i'm too lazy to look if ssh requires the same
ports.

> I'm fairly certain I will have no luck convincing my ISP to allow these
> connections.  No doubt they will claim it prevents their customers from using
> their system to attack other hosts.

you really should complain to the ISP, this is beyond lame.

alternativly you can use cvsup to grab the entire CVS repo, or just
the distros you want, keeping a local copy is much easier on yourself.

-Alfred