Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 10:21:41 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyway to get connect speed with usermode ppp/tun0 device?

> > In any case, the errors you're seeing are probably unrelated to
> > modem fallback,
>
> Well, my assumption here was that:
>
> 1.  The line is flaky, and it's causing errors.
> 2.  The modem isn't falling back.
> 3.  LQR is counting those errors and reporting them.

This is all well and good until you add an error-correcting layer to
the equation.

If 1., then the receiving end will request a retransmission.  If the
errors are really bad, then one or both ends will attempt 2.  At any
rate, there should be no errors for 3. to detect; the error-correcting
protocol is meant to guarantee error-free data transmission.

> > and might be related to the other hanging things up.
>
> I don't understand what you're saying here.

I'm not sure either; the most common cause of FCS errors on modern PPP
links is flow control problems; it's possible that the terminal server
you were connected to just dropped its guts, or the modem likewise.

mike