Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 11:23:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 on NEC 6030X -- Minor Problems

[ Remember to hit return after ~75 characters on your screen. :) ]

> 1) When I log out, and until xdm displays the login widget, a 1/2 inch
> strip of colorful garbage replaces the hounds tooth pattern at the top
> of the display.  When the login widget appears, the garbage goes away.

This is an XFree86 problem.  I ended up reverting to XInside to get X
working on my Versa, which I believe uses the same chipset/screen as the
newer boxes.

> 2) The "Suspend Button" no longer puts it to sleep.  Other parts of
> the power management package still work.  The screen blanks after a
> period of no use.  The hard disk spins up and down as appropriate.
> Before I installed XFree86 suspend worked, but no more.

Are you plugged in?  If so, it won't let the computer go into low-power
mode.  It's also possible that the XFree86 server somehow 'walks' onto
the BIOS area, or the computer refuses to goto sleep if the display
doesn't react properly.

Nate