Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:44:46 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x - lock ups + reboots

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:54:14AM -0800, Joe Blow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This mailing list is my last resort for a hideous problem I've endured for
> well over a year. I first started experiencing it with FreeBSD 4.2-R. I
> bought the FreeBSD 4.3-R CDs when they first came out last year, hoping that
> the problem would disappear. It didn't.
>
> I have searched through the freebsd.org problem reports and mailing list
> arhives, through USENET, and through google.com. Although it seems many
> other users are experiencing similar problems, solutions have been elusive.
>
> [problem description]
>
> The system locks up very often. While using X, it appears that the system
> freezes completely with the keyboard and mouse becoming unresponsive, but
> this is not the case -- after a brief moment, I can cause a reboot by
> hitting ENTER twice. My encounters with this same problem outside of X show
> that a kernel panic message is displayed on the console screen, the disks
> are synced, and then a prompt appears saying something along the lines of
> "Press a key on the console to reboot."
>
> In my attempts to tackle the issue last year, I compiled a debug kernel and
> enabled crash dumps to my swap device (swap = 132MB, main memory = 64MB) via
> the rc.conf 'dumpdev' option. Surprisingly, no crash dumps resulted when the
> kernel had its next few panics, so I was unable to obtain a backtrace of the
> code path.

<snip>

> As you can see above, I have the AGP kernel module loaded at boot time and
> Linux binary emulation enabled.

I do as well.
> I use XFree86 4.1.0 with its support for the i815e.

I cannot solve this but I can add to it, and also add my suspicions.
I also have a m/board with i815e chipset, you do not mention which
video card you have, mine is a Matrox G450 AGP. I have occasionally (much
less often than you have) had a kernel panic. This seems to occur
when I have loaded the agp module "by hand" so to speak, rather than
as part of the startup procedures. My intuition is that the "agp" module
is the problem, since I also get complaints from the kmod_drm module
about it when I load that (I have reported the latter problem to the
maintainer). I have not been able to create a reproducible scenario
though, so I have not reported the "panic" thus far.
So my hunch is that it is "agp", but as I say, that remains at the level
of suspicion.

<snip>

--
Regards