Date:      Thu, 05 Jan 1995 10:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      ROSSILEON@unisi.it
To:        QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   TECHINCAL QUESTIONS

I have some techical questions for you:

1) Please give me more informations about the SLIP connection method.

2) Suppose I have a personal computer (such as a Macintosh or a PC running
   MS-DOS) named client.dummy.xx and connected via network card to a server
   running FreeBSD named server.dummy.xx.

   If I run locally on the client an application that uses Internet (such as
   Fetch or Mosaic), the server receives as caller name: client.dummy.xx or
   server.dummy.xx?

   If someone sends mail or make FTP to client.dummy.xx when it is connected
   to a remote node what happens? Note that client.dummy.xx is not always
   connected to the server, it is only a temporary Internet address.

3) Can a personal computer (such as a Macintosh or a PC running Windows)
   connected to the server VIA MODEM using COMMUTATE (not dedicated) lines run
   locally a program that uses Internet (such as Fetch or Mosaic)?

Thank you.

Leonardo Rossi

Available on:
Internet: