Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:33:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rob <drifter@localhost.net>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>, freebsd chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gui design

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Andre Oppermann wrote:

 [ SNIP ]

> Another good book I can recommend is the "Indigo Magic User Interface
> Guidelines" from Silicon Graphics. I don't know if that is online and
> my version is almost three years old. This guide gives an good overview
> and step-by-step instructions on how to build a GUI for an application.
>
> The two most important rules are:
>
> 1. place the stuff where is belongs (don't put "Options" under "View"
>    like in IE, put it under "Edit" like in Netscape)

     Actually, this might not go over real well with people, but I don't
see how either "Edit" or "View" have anything to do with options (save
"Edit those Options" or "Options that affect your View").  Putting
"Options" on the MAIN title bar -- even if "that's not how it's done,"
makes sense to me (seems more intuitive).
     Besides, there's plenty of room up there usually.  Also,
though I understand the arguments about "consistency," in some cases
I don't think it really helps to force "File" and "Edit" on those few
applications where that doesn't make any sense ("Files" for a Game with no
file saving options? ).
     One last annoyance: main menu items like "File" that just have one
item underneath it "Quit"...

	Oh, well

	Just thought I get that off my chest :)

	-Rob