Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:32:31 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why routed and not gated by default?

As Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> Just curious, why do we still have the antiquated routed as our default
> router daemon?

There should be no default router daemon at all.  In my, arguably
humble, opinion, that's the only correct default.  People who are
actually talking RIP or rdisc on their wire should really hit a button
and say: ``Yes, i want it.''

I think sysinstall had this misfeature disabled for quite some time,
but it seems it never made it into a release this way.

I know that Bill Fenner will heavily object now :), but i really don't
consider his network environment to be the ultimate generic networking
environment applicable to all FreeBSD users either.

The worst thing i've seen in this respect was a Solaris machine which,
upon seeing two ethernet cards, decided that it now has to announce
this fact to the entire world, without asking first.  (This machine
was intended to become a firewall, so this decision was doubly bogus.)
Needless to say, it was a customer's machine, running at a customer's
IP address in our network (with my machine being aliased into this
net), and the bogus RIP broadcasts caused quite a bit of Internet
costs for us until i noticed _what_ has been the problem.

So much for why i consider ``being smart'' to be ugly.  Only the
operator knows what is applicable for him.

We once agreed with Bill Fenner that at the very least, the default
arguments to routed should be ``-Pno_rip -q''.  There's absolutely no
reason for why routed should trust any (potentially forged) RIP
broadcast on the wire.

--
cheers, J"org