Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:14:48 +1200
From:      James Butler <sweetnavelorange@gmail.com>
To:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.com>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports and PBIs

On 13/04/10 19:09, Lucas Holt wrote:
> On 4/10/2010 3:18 PM, kris@pcbsd.org wrote
> <snip>
>> However for my more hard-core friends, nothing stopping you from
>> running your own ports down
>> the road, more power to ya! For doing something like embedded work or
>> a server this makes total
>> sense and I think it is a huge positive for FreeBSD, no reason to
>> trash that or break it in any way.
>> For the other 99.9% of society who want something "that just works"
>> for day-to-day computing,
>> something like PBI is very attractive. It would be great to have an OS
>> that offers best of both worlds.
>>
>> --
>> Kris Moore
>
> There are only two possibilities with any package system. Either give
> the user self packaged binaries containing all shared libraries or make
> them update everything. Both have positives and negatives. We've been

Only two possibilities? I remember reading about a third in a paper
proposing an enhancement to pkgsrc, but now I can't find the paper :-(
Basically this involves distributing and downloading separate packages
as with pkg_add, but installing each one in an isolated directory so
multiple conflicting versions can be present side-by-side. The package
tools then arrange for each package to have symlinks to all the packages
it depends on, in a private libdepends/ folder or something. So if I
install package A1.1 which depends on B3.2, then I want to install C5.3
which depends on B4.0, I have a choice: to upgrade A to a version
depending on B4.0 if one exists, or to install C5.3 with B4.0 alongside
A1.1 and B3.2.

I'll try to find the paper I'm recalling after work, until then I'll
just have to wave my hands in the air.

-James Butler