Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 01:35:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      freebsd-lists@i-zone.demon.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing freebsd-4.0

I have a cdrw (Ricoh 7060A, IDE) on master on the secondary channel
(ide1). There are two hard drives on the primary channel (ide0). There
is a cdrom on slave on the secondary channel.

I realise that freeBSD was picky in the past about booting from a slave
device but surely it should boot on master from ide0 or ide1?

Booting from cd (master) is enabled in the bios, the board is an abit
BM6 with the latest bios. All devices are correctly (explicitly) jumpered
(in other words, nothing is set to channel select)

SuSE 6.4 linux and windows works <spit> in this respect, how come it
cant boot from the freebsd-4 cd? The CD came from 'the complete freebsd
handbook' by Greg Lehey

....yes I am using the first cd of the set :)

Any ideas??

Thanks

John

E-Mail: jfm@i-zone.demon.co.uk