Date:      Mon, 31 May 2010 20:26:07 +0200
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP: cups - can not login on localhost to cups server

Hello,
my problem sounds trivial, but isn't. I can not login to my cups server
on localhost via http://localhost:631, which worked for me several
months ago. Well I installed a new host using FreeBSD 9.0-CUR and need
to add printers. Regarding to this problem I found a lot of stuff in the
net and mailing lists, but none of the hints and tipps worked for me.
First I will describe what I've already did.

1) ensured local BSD lpd is not running
2) on a prior installed system where cups is up and running printing is
possible but no administration (see subject), so  the problem seems to
be common.
3) followed some hints adding a user "root" with proper password via
"lppasswd"
4) deleted password.md5 and performed step 3) again
5) deleted all ports cups-* and /usr/local/cups folder and reinstalled
cups, ensured having nothing left in /usr/local/etc

The problem occured out of the blue to me, I possibly missed some
changes within the last row of updates.

Can anyone help?

Please eMail me since I'm not subscriber of the "question" list.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver