Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:57:00 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multi-level categories

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 03:05:19PM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> > I would prefer pkg_COMMENT or pkg.COMMENT to make things easier to read.
> How about simply COMMENT ?
>
> I fail to see a namespace conflict within the port's directory.
>
> The other extreme would be COMMENT.zsh-3.4 or some equivalent syntax which
> creates a globally unique name.
> Although I can see some benefits to globally unique names, I think the value
> is too low. If a script needs to extract then into a flat directory, it can
> rename them on the way.

(1) If you don't have a mailer that does 80 columns properly, please press
that big "enter" key on your keyboard when you get to the end of a line. I
recovered what you did above.

(2) For those of us used to typing pkg<tab>COMMENT or whatever, this would
help us.

(3) It's good for ordering.

> What is the motivation to treat scripts and patches differently?
>
> crypto/stealth/
>    .../Makefile
>    .../COMMENTS
>    .../CHECKSUMS
>    .../patch-aa
>    .../patch-ab
>    .../script-preload
>    .../script-register-with-authorities
>    .../script-confiscate-munitions
> I think they would still fit on one page.

Not when there is an obnoxious amount of patches. I think that patches, files,
and scripts should all be in one directory. I also know however that this would
be a hyper-bitch for repository copying with only a little gain.

I like Satoshi's suggestion combined with David's suggestion of pkg.FOO or
pkg_FOO (prefering pkg.FOO).

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect
Computer Horizons Corp - CVM