Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 00:28:39 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gpl'd diff files

> I'm considering porting something over from linux which is primarily a
> large diff file against kernel sources. The diff file licence is under
> the gpl. I'm wondering whether the gpl still applies after I've ported the
> diff file over to bsd. I'm not sure whether this would be directly
> covered under the gpl, and i'm keen to avoid the virus-like effects of
> the gpl covering further modifications to all source involved.
>
> Any assistance in this would be great.

If you use code substantially from the patch, then you will be required
to GPL-infest everything you use the code in.  The definition of
"derivative work" is pretty broad - you can probably get away with
using information (eg. register maps, hardware interface procedures)
obtained by reading the code, but if you copy code from the patch, you
lose.