Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:14:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        lorenl@alzatex.com (Loren M. Lang)
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel on FreeBSD

> > > Port:   vpnc-0.3.2
> > > Info:   Client for Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator
> > > Maint:  delta@lackas.net
> > > B-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 gmake-3.80_2 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1
> > > libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> > > R-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1
> > > libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> > >

> > > This one? I have no idea what this thread is about, but that's in ports.
> > > Wouldn't Linux emulation work anyway?
> >
> > I think it was sort of a newbie question from someone who has yet to
> > learn about ports and also the Linux emulation available in FreeBSD.
>
> First, I don't consider myself a newbie, but I do have a lot less
> experience with freebsd than linux.

I think this thread got additional questions dropped in.

> > Then they did not seem to know about the vpnc (or other stuff) already in
> > ports to perform the function[s] they want.   I have to admit, searching
> > /usr/ports can be a bit time consuming and tedius if you get started on
> > a wrong track.
>
> I never brought up vpnc or anything about vpns, that was someone else,

Someone did and I responded to that.

> but I did mention the freebsd kernel seems to be lacking some hw support
> that linux does not, and that's a much harder problem to fix then trying
> to get linux software to run on freebsd.  There isn't really any
> replacement in ports that I can find for my realtek card or my sony
> clie, both of which were given to me, not specifically my choice.

That was a different response.

Probably someone 'borrowed' this thread so it was getting responded
to in two different ways,     I didn't pay close attention to which
thread was which, but rather commented on the immediate question.

////jerry