Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:15:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOS Emulation KLD

> > Cool!  Careful though, or you'll end up as its maintainer. 8)
>
> That wouldn't bother me a bit.  :)  I've been trying to bring my BSD
> programming skills up to par so I can contribute to the project, but haven't
> yet found an area in which I would really be of use.  However, as I said,
> DOS programming is something I excel at, having been programming in DOS
> since I was 11 years old.  Once I knock off this stupid Borland Builder NTP
> project for my boss, I'm going to contact the current maintainers.

You just have. 8)  Actually, several people have sort of nibbled around
the edges of doscmd for a while; you should check the commit logs and
poll to see if any of them still have uncommitted changes lying around.

> > I'm glad to hear that.  For better or worse, I spent quite a bit of time
> > working on doscmd some years back, and I might be able to help you if you
> > get stuck.  I can certainly dig out a few of the ideas that I thought
> > ought to be implemented, if you find yourself looking for new things to
> > add. 8)
>
> Cool.  Go ahead and give me any improvement ideas, and if they're within my
> capabilities, I'll implement them.

Sure.

 - You should be able to do fullscreen mode in a terminal window using
   curses.  I did this for pcemu, and it was a bit slow but otherwise OK.
   Getting the keyboard translations right is a bit hard.
 - X mode should support at least 640x480x16 graphics, as well as other
   text modes.  This will involve expanding the video BIOS emulation.
 - The DOS emulation for standalone mode could probably be improved a lot.
 - I recall that path translation in standalone mode was very
   nonintuitive.  I'm not sure what could be done to improve this.

If I come up with any more, I'll try to pass them on.