Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:03:33 -0553.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   64 bit linux binary support

The FreeBSD wiki reports that there is no support for running 64-bit
linux binaries under FreeBSD. The file utility does recognize the binary
format, including listing a runtime loader to use when running them:

[wam@devbox, TEST, 9:57:52am] 1039 % lltr *fpbl*
-rw-------  1 wam  users   3162 Feb 12  2012 fpbl.f
-rw-------  1 wam  users  13110 May 25  2014 OUTPUT.fpbl.linux.txt
-rw-------  1 wam  users  11760 Sep  5 10:04 fpbl.c
-rw-------  1 wam  users  13142 Sep  5 10:05 OUTPUT.fpbl.FreeBSD.txt
-rwx------  1 wam  users  17909 Sep  9 08:10 fpbl.linux*
-rwx------  1 wam  users  18003 Oct  4 09:31 fpbl*
[wam@devbox, TEST, 9:58:02am] 1040 % file fpbl fpbl.linux
fpbl:       ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD),
dynamically linked, interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, for FreeBSD 9.3,
not stripped
fpbl.linux: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux),
dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for
GNU/Linux 2.6.32,
BuildID[sha1]=882754a79d9e9583eff5f710da6a3d0eb3251fa2, not stripped
[wam@devbox, TEST, 9:58:05am] 1041 % uname -a
FreeBSD devbox 9.3-RELEASE-p30 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p30 #0: Mon Nov 2
10:11:50 UTC 2015
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[wam@devbox, TEST, 10:00:26am] 1042 %

Furthermore, the docker wiki page refers to newly available (as of last
summer) 64-bit linux support. How is progress for supporting execution
of 64-bit linux binaries proceeding ? TIA & have a good one.

P.S. I also noticed a docker pkg available for some months now for 9.3R.
I installed it a while back, but haven't played around w/ it yet. The
docker wiki page says docker only runs under FSSD 11.0, is the 9.3R pkg
just a robo-build artifact, or possibly working OK-ish ?

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.