Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 02:22:21 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        michaelv@headcandy.com
Cc:        Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on VM, swap leaks

> Now, in addition to this, I believe emacs installs by default with the
> sticky bit set, which means it will try to keep swap pages allocated
> for it, even when it isn't running.

It does install with the sticky bit set, but I thought that modern
Unices ignored it as they try to keep everything in swap for as long
as possible.

Someone mailed me and said that unsetting the sticky bit solved the
problem for them. I tried it and it didn't help at all. 8-(

> At least, that's the way I understand it.  I'm not a veteran kernel
> internals hacker, however...

Me neither 8-)

> Now, the SIGSEGV's might have something to do with bad memory or
> cache.  Or just running the clock too high for the memory or CPU.  Or,
> it could very possible be a bug in John's code.  I'm sure he has a
> good idea of what it could be, if it is, in fact, a bug.

I agree. Let's see what the latest batch of VM changes will
bring. Time to do a 'make world', I think.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland | http://freefall.freebsd.org/~jraynard/
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk         | jraynard@freebsd.org