Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:28:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        anthony@sohopros.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with natd?

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 anthony@sohopros.com wrote:

> After I start my PPP connection I start natd
> like this:  natd -interface ed2.
>
> (ed2 is the only network card I have.
> Also this is a dialup connection via a modem.)
>
> Then I can ping my dynamic IP from the client side,
> but I can not get to the outside world.
>
> I have given the option IPDIVERT and option IPFIREWALL,
> but had to remove the IPFIREWALL because I could not
> see the outside world on my server.
>
> If anyone has any ideas what should look at I would
> be grateful.

I'd have to experiment with this, but I think natd requires IPFW to get
the divert sockets.  For your connectivity problem, you probably forgot
to set these up and got the default rule of `deny everything'.  Try
setting these in /etc/rc.conf:

firewall_enable="YES"            # Set to YES to enable firewall
firewall_type="open"         # Firewall type (see /etc/rc.firewall)