Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:19:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        adam@vectors.cx
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh No! __sF undefined -> bump all major number of all libraries

In message: <20021013021627.GA76789@vectors.cx>
            Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx> writes:
:
: >> (10.12.2002 @ 1843 PST): M. Warner Losh said, in 0.5K: <<
: > We need to bump every major number of every library in the ports system.
: > Otherwise, when people upgrade,
:
: when people upgrade what? a port? their base?

We should have bumped the major numbers on all the ports on -current
because of a binary incompatibility in -current's libc.  __sF was
depricated in 4.0 and has been removed in 5.0.  If you have a library
that was build sufficiently long

: > they won't be forced to upgrade things
: > ports depend upon.
:
: if the libraries haven't changed, why should they be rebuilt? and if
: they DO need to all be rebuilt, why not just do portupgrade -f --all?
: why _force_ people to upgrade things?

Because I'm naive enough to think that the depends in the ports should
make it work and resorting to external programs is evil.

: > We should have done this months ago when -current
: > depricated it over a year ago.
:
: when current deprecated what?

__sF.

: > But I suspect the issue isn't as simple as black and white, so I'm guessing
: > there's a good reason for why this wasn't done...
:
: i'm missing something here... sorry for the backtracking.

Yes.  libc.so changed its ABI to not encode sizeof(FILE) into every
binary.  __sF was depricated at that time (something like a year or
two ago).

Maybe it is only a problem for -current, since libc.so.4 is good, and
.5 is a use at your own risk sort of thing.  So maybe the right answer
is 'never mind' and file it under 'the dangers of running -current'.

Warner