Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:05:14 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-performance Digest, Vol 4, Issue 7

Jin Guojun [DSD] wrote:
> Doug Clements wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:52:55AM -0700, Jin Guojun [DSD] wrote:
>>
>>>Recently, we tested software RAID via CCD and VINUM, and compared
>>>them to adaptec 2xxx RAID controller. The performance is the same.
>>>The CPU are Xeon 2.8 GHz, SuperMicro MB with ServerWork Chipset.
>>>Seagate 3147xxxxLC drives.
>>>
>>>Problem is the write is slow for all of them, especially when multiple writes.
>>>
>>>Heard from Adaptect that their 5400 RAID has best performance, but
>>>never had one for testing.
>>>
>>>So, soft RAID is ok to save bucks for hardware.
>>
>>How was CPU usage during the tests?
>

> Very minimum.
> It was slow on SCSI bus , but I do not have time to diagnose,
> which can be very time consuming.

My tests have shown that a GOOD hardware RAID5 controller can really
help you out when it's being slammed (specially over NFS) - I use Dell
PERC/2 and PERC/3 controllers (rebranded AMI RAID boards).  They run
like champs, and I get 40MB/s sustained xfers..

With software RAID, I get less, however it is substantially cheaper, and
for price/punch it's hard to beat.

It really depends on how much you depend on it, and how much you want to
spend on the solution.

vinum is one of the sweetest pieces of software ever written to
compliment FreeBSD (in my opinion) - it's just one of those tools you
can depend on.

Eric

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?