Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 01:51:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        vagner <george@vagner.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosting mail only

(a response with perhaps more detail than you need)

To start accepting mail for a new domain on your box you have to do a few
things with a couple different systems.

First, the DNS needs to have an MX record pointing to your mail server.
Be sure your box is the lowest priority number, which means that is the
final destination for the mail.  You can check that easily with this
command.

host -t mx olenski.com

As I run it, I see no MX settings.  If there are no MX settings it will
default to the A record, which is 209.63.182.189.  It appears that you do
not have reverse DNS working on this hostname, and that may be a problem
for you, but perhaps not this problem.

Note the output for this command as a good reference.

host -t mx daemonnews.org
daemonnews.org mail is handled (pri=20) by mail2.zer0.org
daemonnews.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mail1.zer0.org

mail1 is the final destination.

After you get the MX settings going to the right place it is nice to have
secondary mail server for redundancy.  I do not think you need to do
anything to configure a secondary mail server.  It simply spools the mail
if the primary is down.  (I may need to be corrected.)  Once the primary
is back up the secondary will pass along the mail.  This makes your mail
much more reliable, and you can have as many secondaries as you like.

Next you need to make sure sendmail is set to accept mail for this domain.
On my system that file is at /etc/mail/sendmail.cw.  The location of the
file is specified on the Fw line of the /etc/sendmail.cf file.  If you
need to configure sendmail to use this file, I have a nice script to help
you out here.  Just contact me about that, copied to the list if you like.

Once you have that domain listed in the sendmail.cw file you need to
restart sendmail.  To do that you need to give the process id an HUP
signal.  This is how I do it... (maybe there is a better way)

ps aux | grep sendmail
# select the sendmail process and get the pid
kill -1 PID
# this send the hup signal
ps aux | grep sendmail
# verify that sendmail is still running and has a new pid

To be really anal you can tail /var/log/messages or /var/log/maillog to
look for any error messages.  That may help you avoid many problems later.

So sendmail will accept mail for the domain now, but you need to have
users set up on that FreeBSD server for each email address or set up a
Virtual User Table.  If you have user named bob on your server and mail
comes in to bob@olenski.com, it will spool for the user bob.  But if you
do not have an account for bob, the mail server cannot spool for it, since
this is an unknown user.  You must create one.

Creating the Virtual User Table is a little more involved, but very useful
and powerful.  Ask further if you want to go that route.  Without it, no
matter how many domains you accept mail for, you can only have one
bob@address whereas on my server I can have bob@offwhite.net or
bob@sncalumni.com and have them go to different user accounts.  If you
plan on doing mail for many domains you will want to do this.

You can also set up aliases, if you want.  But I am guessing you know a
bit about that already.  You know much of what I have explained already, I
am just trying to not leave out the useful details.

If you have more questions, copy them to the list, as I am not the most
experienced sendmail admin on this list.  I will help where I can.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?