Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:24:06 -0500
From:      slave-mike <slave-mike@slavepix.com>
To:        Jeff Elkins <bsd@elkins.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using the ATAPI/CAM Driver

Jeff Elkins wrote:

>No responses on this yet, but I can hope :)
>
>Another issue:  After changing the permissions on the /dev/pass* devices,
>following a reboot, they all reverted, rendering k3b useless.
>
>I'd appreciate some help...
>
>====
>
>I've enabled the ATAPI/CAM driver in my kernel under freebsd 5.2 - this has
>given me two devices: /dev/cd0 and /dev/cd1. Thus far, I'm able to burn
>CDs/DVDs but I am having trouble mounting them (as root).
>
>If I issue the command: mount /cdrom or mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom I get
>the message:  cd9660: /dev/cd0: Device not configured
>
>However, if I comment out the /dev/cd devices in fstab and enable the acd
>devices:
>
>/dev/acd0               /cdrom cd9660   ro,noauto       0       0
>/dev/acd1               /cdrom1 cd9660 ro,noauto        0       0
>#/dev/cd0               /cdrom cd9660   ro,noauto       0       0
>#/dev/cd1               /cdrom1 cd9660 ro,noauto        0       0
>
>I'm able to mount w/o problems.
>
>Do I have something misconfigured?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Elkins

look in /etc/devfs.conf

try adding something like: ...

# Commonly used by many ports

perm    acd0    0660
link    acd0    cdrom
link    acd0    rcdrom
link    acd0    racd0

perm    acd1    0660
link    acd1    dvd
link    acd1    rdvd

perm    ast0    0660
link    ast0    sa0

perm    nast0   0660
link    nast0   nsa0

perm    pass0   0660
perm    pass1   0660
perm    pass2   0660
perm    pass3   0660
perm    scanner0        0660

perm    ugen0   0660
perm    ugen0.0 0660
perm    ugen0.1 0660
perm    ugen0.2 0660
perm    ugen0.3 0660

# Allow a user in the wheel group to query the smb0 device
perm    smb0    0660

# Allow members of group operator to cat things to the speaker
own     speaker root:operator
perm    speaker 0660