Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:29:17 +0800 (CST)
From:      "T.F. Cheng" <tfcheng@yahoo.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Piter <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Directory not empty

man, you are right, I now recall there was a crash
during the last portupgrade. And there is "
/dev/ad0s1f: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN
fsck MANUALLY." in my /var/log.
Guess the mystery is solved.
Then why do I have to reboot first then run bgfsck?
Can I run this myself without rebooting?

thanks!

 --- Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> 寫道:
> In the last episode (Feb 25), T.F. Cheng said:
> > yeah, it's weird. I found that I can rename it (to
> tmp) then I tried
> > to del it:
> > > rm -fr tmp
> > rm: tmp/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/doc: Directory not empty
> > rm: tmp/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/src: Directory not empty
>
> Do you use softupdates, and did your system happen
> to crash after a
> portupgrade?  I bet if you cd into
> tmp/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/doc and run ls
> -la, you'll see something like:
>
> $ ls -la
> total 2
> drwx------  4 dan  dan  512 Feb 22 11:00 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  3 dan  dan  512 Feb 22 11:00 ../
>
> The "." entry should have 2 links in an empty
> directory (one here, and
> one in the parent directory).  That's caused be a
> failed background
> fsck, which is supposed to reset bad link counts
> after a crash.  If you
> check /var/log/messages, you might see something
> like this:
>
>   PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE I=316179
>   UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
> MANUALLY.
>
> Try rebooting and letting the bgfsck run again, or
> boot into
> single-user mode and run fsck -p on the filesystem.
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson@allantgroup.com

=====