Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:51:16 +0200
From:      Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
To:        Kris Doyle <colk99@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limitiing ps for user accounts

Use the "kern.ps_showallprocs" sysctl knob.

Run "sysctl -w kern.ps_showallprocs=0" as root.

Put "kern.ps_showallprocs=0" in your /etc/sysctl.conf file to make
your system do this whenever it boots up.

This will hide other users' processes in both 'top' and 'ps'.  The
restrictions do not apply to thel 'root' user though.

Users can still interrogate your "/proc" directory though, so you may
want to unmount that if you're feeling really paranoid.  Just be aware
that some programmes require access to "/proc" to run correctly.

--
mwest@uct.ac.za