Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:02:16 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Mail Servers

Okay.. I feel stupid..

I'm trying to setup POP and SMTP internet mail servers on my box.  I
have a domain (jason-n3xt.org).  On my box I have popper set to run
for POP and sendmail for SMTP.

On my laptop I can setup Outlook Express for my POP server and it
connects and checks mail fine.

I can't seem to figure out how to setup sendmail to work for internet
mail.  I think it has something to do with aliases, but I don't know.
Here is the error message from Outlook Express:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
'res02jw5@gte.net'. Subject 'test', Account: 'jason-n3xt.org', Server:
'jason-n3xt.org', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1
<res02jw5@gte.net>... Relaying denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

On the server I get:

jason-n3xt sendmail[226]: eBMFVUt00226: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<
res02jw5@gte.net >, relay=crtntx1-ar3-098-023.dsl.gtei.net
[4.33.98.23], reject=550 5.7.1 < res02jw5@gte.net>... Relaying denied
jason-n3xt sendmail[229]: eBMFVgt00229: SYSERR(root): hash map
"Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or
directory

I've read man sendmail but I didn't learn much...

I also have a problem with incoming mail being to the server.  Again I
think I'm missing something in the setup.  My isp's mail server
returns the error:

... while talking to jason-n3xt.org.:
>>> RCPT To:<jason@jason-n3xt.org>
<<< 550 5.1.1 <jason@jason-n3xt.org>... User unknown
550 <jason@jason-n3xt.org>... User unknown

I'm not even really sure where to start there...

I know it's a lot but if anyone can help I will be eternally greatful.
=)

---
| Jason P. Halbert                 | res02jw5@gte.net |
| Transmitter Maintenance Engineer | DALnet: Push^Pop |
| KC5WEG                           | ICQ#: 86637300   |
| KDAF-TV WB 33                    | (214) 252-3300   |
| KDTX-TV 58                       | (972) 399-0058   |