Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:29:56 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

> => Both problems are related to the majority of PC BIOSes' brain damage,
> => but somehow  other operating systems  manage to work around  the said
> => damage.
>
> =Actually,  these  "other" operating  systems  avoid  the issue  by  not
> =offering the  functionality in question  at all.
>
> As  I  mentioned earlier,  NT  installed  onto  a  SCSI Jazz  drive  and
> continues to boot from it -- with  two IDE disks in the way. Even though
> it appears  as drive  J: in  the diskmanager. I  don't remember  it EVER
> having a problem counting the true  memory amount, either, may be others
> do.

FreeBSD will do this just fine as well.  In older versions, some
architectural decisions that I don't agree with caused problems; these
are no longer an issue.

> =You remember incorrectly. The 64MB problem was licked when I managed to
> =steamroller Sean and  Jonathan's VM86 work into the system  in order to
> =use the BIOS.
>
> Quite possible. Or may be it  was the combination of several factors? My
> point was, that I was told  with a very similarly convincing tones, that
> it will never happen. The person also  tried to explain it by saying the
> FreeBSD usership  is different from that  of other OSes, so  there is no
> need to bother.

*shrug*  They were wrong.  We rose above ourselves and fixed it.  You
should be happy.

> =I'm not  sure just why  it is that  the easier it  is to work  around a
> =problem,  the  more  people  whine  about  it.
>
> No. The right question to ask is, if it is so damn easy, WHY CAN'T IT BE
> AUTOMATED?

It has been.  I don't understand what the problem is here.  It was a
problem.  It's been fixed.  I don't have a time machine, so I can't go
back and fix it for cases before I was able to do it.  If you're so up
and conversant with the problem, you'd understand why it gave us so
much trouble and the massive discussions that were necessary to get us
this far.

> Perhaps  you are lucky to  only converse with the  happy Unix
> users,  and simply  can't imagine  the rest  of us,  trying to  convince
> people to  TRY. And if it  does not work  from the first time,  they are
> unlikely to try again.

Perhaps you are wrong here.  And perhaps you are not looking at this
from the perspective of someone that's taken the extra step to address
just a few of these problems.  I don't get much joy out of listening to
complaints about how things that have been fixed were once broken.

There's this other thread going on about how we should do fewer
releases, so it would take longer for these bugs to get resolved.  You
could go beat up on whoevers' bright idea that was.  8)

> And don't try to deny it -- the growing usership IS what gives your work
> and efforts sense and what gives  you (and me) the satisfaction. So stop
> looking down  at those who point  out what's missing. The  questions- is
> flooded  with the  "can't  mount root"  (not my  observation).  It is  a
> genuine feedback, YOU need, filtered and summarized for you...

The point here is that until recently it was quite hard to deal with
this case.  I made it _much_ easier in 3.x to work around the basic
architectural issue, before fixing it in 4.x.  But making the
workaround easier has just made more people complain.  I can only
imagine the howls of protest when the problem goes away entirely.