Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:55:34 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        core@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org, webmaster@freebsdmall.com
Subject:   Re: Tekmetrics tests

I don't belive in "Certified Doughnut Handler" kind of certifications,
they're mostly bogus, in a few select cases they're really bogus.

I don't like the concept that the FreeBSD project should be backing
such certification or test in any way.

This may sound harsh, but I think I have some valid reasons:

1.  It is very hard to make such a test fair on a global scale.
    (I did poorly on the "Dilbert" test: I live in Denmark and
    can't see the Dilbert TV series.)

2.  The "3 minute deadline" is vastly unfair to people who don't
    have a good command of english.  Are we going to offer spanish,
    japanese, italian, danish, swedish, hebrew and swahili versions
    as well ?

3.  Do we know what exact quality we're trying to measure here ?
    Most of the Novell/M$ certified people I've met have merely
    shown that they're good at looking things up, not that they're
    imaginative and good at troubleshooting.

If somebody wants to make such a certification, sure, good, fine,
but don't involve the FreeBSD project in it.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!