Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:10:16 -0600
From:      "Mario Doria" <madd@tecdigital.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFW Keep-state ruleset sysctl values

Hello,

First, my ruleset in IPFW only allows the initial connection packet and
creates a dynamic rule. I'm trying to make my ruleset in IPFW just like what
I had with IPF. I moved from IPF because I was experiencing random
connection losses on two different machines, and someone in the ipfilter@
mailing list also running 4.5-STABLE was experiencing the same problems; so,
I'm trying IPFW to see who's really the culprit (the NIC has been changed
twice).

After changing IPF with IPFW, I noticed that connections timed out very
quickly. I changed
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime to 14400 and it got better. When using IPF,
connections timed out at 86400 seconds (I think) which is way more thant
14400. I *think* the IPF timeout is the one specified for TCP/IP but I think
14400 (4 hours) is more realistical. Question is: Is this change going to
affect me in other ways?

Second doubt here, I also changed the sysctl value of net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_max
to 3000. Is this too much or too little?.
The machine is a midly loaded webserver, which also serves as a Samba server
for 20 multimedia users (meaning they open a bazillion files at once). I
don't know how many dynamic rules is the maximum for IPF, I thought 3000 was
reasonable.

Thanks for your help,

Mario Doria
madd@tecdigital.net