Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:11:26 -0600
From:      "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PAM and MySQL Authentication Question

Hello List-

I am working through some theoretical setups in my mind and I have come to a
stumbling block. Of course, I might just be missing something.

We are an ISP which offers web hosting on FreeBSD and Debian boxes and some
Windows2000 boxes. For the most part it is FTP access only with a few shell
accounts creeping in here and there.

I know ProFTPD has a mySQL plugin to handle authentication and I am fairly
confident that I could figure out the PAM authentication to a mySQL database
but this only handles shell (telnet and ssh) login authentication, right?
The stumbling block is that we run Apache in suEXEC mode and would like to
continue doing this. If I have, let's say, 5 servers mounting webfiles to a
central location how do those files know who their owner is for suEXEC
purposes? Does PAM handle the UID and GID lookups too? For example, when you
do a "ls -l" in a directory? or do we have to go to a NIS/NIS+ environment
for this?

I am an empty fountian, fill me with knowledge ;)

Please CC me, for I am not on the questions list.

Thanks in advance!

Henrik
---
Henrik Hudson

Microsoft: "Where would you like to go to today"
Linux: "Where would you like to go tomorrow"
FreeBSD: "Hey, when are you guys going to catch up"