Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:09:36 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, jcarlos@bahianet.com.br, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, hitech@bahianet.com.br
Subject:   Re: Out of mbuf clusters

At 3:32 PM -0600 1999/9/20, Wes Peters wrote:

> Granted, the answer DES gave was a little cryptic.

	Cryptic.  Hmm.  That's not exactly the word I'd choose, but I'm
willing to leave it at that for now.

>                                                     He was also pointing
> out some of the crucial operational knowlege you need to SUCCESSFULLY
> operate an IRC server.

	I disagree.  I read what he wrote, and while those might be the
necessary steps to run the world's largest IRC server, or the world's
most secure, I think we can all agree that not everyone in the world
needs to be a Superman in order to have an IRC server that doesn't
spontaneously crash.

	Yes, some of those steps were necessary (most importantly, the
one you outline below), but not all of them.

>                         Let me paraphrase the simple answer:
>
> "You're running out of mbuf clusters, which causes FreeBSD panic.  It is
> quite simple to expand the number of mbuf clusters in your system.  Go
> search for the phrase 'mbuf clusters' in the FreeBSD handbook or the
> -questions archives if you don't already know how to."

	This is precisely the answer that should have been given in the
first place.

	Regardless of why he did it, what DES did was drive just one more
wedge between the FreeBSD "haves", and the folks who'd like to learn
more about what I still feel is the best overall implementation of
Unix for servers (and arguably for desktop workstations).  In the
process, he's destroying a lot of good work by people such as
yourself who would presumably attempt to close that knowledge gap in
some way other than slamming the questioner at each and every step.

	I've known a lot of University professors like that.  Regardless
of how much they know, they are unable or unwilling to communicate
that information in a manner which is useful and non-abusive to
anyone not already operating on or very near their level.  This makes
life extremely (and unnecessarily) unpleasant for all the students
who are forced to endure them, and the grad students who have to work
even more closely with them.  Many simply choose to go elsewhere.

	We'll never know how many Einsteins or Mother Theresas we'll
never have, because they never got the chance to properly discover
that side of themselves.

> It seems highly likely that ridiculing those who not only took the time
> to respond to your question, but also to GIVE YOU THE SYSTEM IN THE FIRST
> PLACE is NOT a good strategy for getting more questions answered in the
> future.

	In the end we all die.  What will we be remembered for?  Who will
remember us that way?

	How many people will remember all the significant contributions
that DES has made to the history of FreeBSD and the good of freely
available OSes around the world, and how many will remember him for
precisely the sort of thing that got this whole thread started?

	Of the people who remember him each way, how many other people
will they pass on that memory to?  How far will those passed on
memories keeping getting passed on?

	Myself, I'd like very much to remember DES as a key contributor
to what is still (for the moment, anyway) my favourite server OS, and
I would hope that one day I might actually eliminate enough of my
ignorance that I could possibly be capable of comprehending some of
the stuff that he might have to share.

	However, at the moment, this seems rather unlikely.

> Having a sense of humor will certainly help.

	It's very hard to recognize humour when it's so well camoflaged as vitriol.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.