Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:05:31 -0500
From:      "Oli Drew" <olidrew@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel server board, fans running at full speed.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oli Drew <olidrew@gmail.com>
Date: Nov 12, 2007 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: Intel server board, fans running at full speed.
To: Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <wearabnet@yahoo.ca>

bump,
         I found a couple of things but I'm not sure how they relate
to my problem:

         1) From a reseller web site:

         Super I/O Controller            National Semiconductor PC87372,
including fan speed control/monitor pins

          2)  From the intel tech spec
(http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/se7230nh1_tps_14.pdf)
:

 LPC (Low Pin Count) bus segment with one embedded device
- Super I/O controller chips providing all PC-compatible I/O (floppy,
serial, keyboard,
mouse, two serial com port ) and integrated hardware monitoring
- LC Super I/O = SMsC* LP47M182NR
- LX Super I/O = National Semiconductor* PC8374LOIBU

           From what I understand this hardware should be accessible
through "mbmon -d", right ?
           The device file should be /dev/smb0 ? Am I close or what?

        I'm not able to check with another OS right now, but the guy
who installed the server originally told me he saw some version of
windows on it and the fan were working ok, for whatever it's worth ;-)

       Oli.