Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 18:18:55 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp is not fetch

Matthias Buelow wrote:

> BTW.. although risking to be off-topic by miles, I always liked the way
> how NetBSD's ftp(1) (since 1.4 or so) implemented http and ftp URL
> fetching and thus eliminated the need for a fetch(1) command.
> Couldn't the FreeBSD ftp(1) be enhanced that way, [ObTopic, slime slime]
> to use fetch(3) for that purpose?

ftp(1) is an ftp client. fetch(1) is file fetching program. They
both do things that the other don't. We don't add things to programs
that do not belong in the program. Http handling does not belong in
ftp(1).

This has been convered before. Search the archives. Also, cease and
desist, citizen, or the ensuing flame war will turn you into a fine
mist. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Rule 69: Do unto other's code as you'd have it done unto yours