Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:15:17 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        darrenr@cyber.com.au (Darren Reed)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0 kernel API ?!

As Darren Reed wrote:

> Sigh.  This is all very amusing, I guess.  Here's a tip for you:
> if you *really* want to separate what user programs can and can not
> include (or should and should not), don't put any "kernel only"
> include files under /usr/include and remove all references from
> /usr/include files to anything that should only be in the kernel.

You're missing the point of /usr/include/sys/ and friends.  This
directory is intended to carry the common interface declarations
between kernel and userland.  The most consistent way for a
development machine is, of course, to symlink these directories into
the kernel tree.  (NB: this doesn't necessarily i agree with all those
*_var.h's.  IMHO, an #ifdef _KERNEL (still misspelled without the
underscore in FreeBSD) should suffice.  LKMs do need to define this
macro, too, of course.)

> p.s. what's up with hackers@freebsd ? I haven't seen any mail come
> through it for a while now...

Well, maybe your site caused excessive bounces, so Jonathan had to
remove you?  I'm dropping you a Cc this time.

--
cheers, J"org