Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:56:49 -0700
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
Cc:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: getting to 4K disk blocks in ZFS

Hi--

On Oct 13, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
[ ... ]
> On any real-world system where you're running ZFS, it's unlikely the 4K block overhead is really going to be an issue.  And the underlying disk hardware is moving to 4K physical sectors, anyway.  Sooner or later you're just going to have to suck it up.

Or SSDs, which currently have anywhere from 2KB to 16KB "sectors".

I suspect that MIX -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIX_%28Email%29 -- will gain in popularity.  Big messages are kept one per file, just as Maildir does, but MIX also does a pretty good job of conserving inodes (or equivalent) and minimizing wasted space from intrinsic fragmentation due to filesystem blocksize by aggregating small messages together.

Regards,
--
-Chuck