Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:09:40 -0400
From:      Graywane <graywane@home.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating EXACT image of a CD

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

Here is the track layout for a data CD:

  +---------------------- Yellow Book -------------------+---- Red Book ---+
  !                                                      !                 !
  v <------------------- 2352 Bytes -------------------> v                 v

  +----------+---------------------------------+---------+-----------------+
  !   Sync   !                                 ! CD-ROM  !                 !
  !    &     !       User Data (2048 Bytes)    ! EDC/ECC ! EDC/ECC/Control !
  ! Headers  !                                 !  (280)  !   (882 Bytes)   !
  !   (24)   !                                 !         !                 !
  +----------+---------------------------------+---------+-----------------+

Michael

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 08:59:19AM +1000, Kal Torak wrote:
> > > I want to create exact ISO images of CD's...
> > > Like create the file system using the exact same file names and
> > > structure, not just copying the data... If there are null sectors on
> > > the CD or something then I want them to be part of the image...
> > > options to mkisofs can it be done? or using dd or something?
> >=20
> > yeah, you should just be able to use dd.
> >=20
> > dd if=3D/dev/cdrom of=3Dexact-image.iso bs=3D2k
> >=20
> > other block sizes may work too, you could experiment.  I think with data
> > CDs it has to be a multiple of 2k, couldn't swear to that though.
>=20
> Hmmm is there a tool to check the block size of a file system?

--=20
Note: See http://www.members.home.net/graywane/ for PGP information.

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24--