Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:36:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jerry Blancher <flerll@kaschynna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kingston KNE30T PCI

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Jerry Blancher wrote:

>   I have the Kingston KNE30T PCI ethernet card. It is set up on a new
> system with NO load and NO traffic. Here is a clipping of my system:

> CPU: AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions (233.86-MHz 586-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x562  Stepping=2
>   Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
> real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
> avail memory = 61206528 (59772K bytes)
> Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
> chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1106 device=1595 subclass=0)> rev 3 on
> pci0:0:
> 0
> chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1106 device=0586 subclass=1)> rev 39 on
> pci0:7
> :0
> pci0:7:1: VIA Technologies, device=0x0571, class=storage (ide) [no driver
> assign
> ed]
> ed1 <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
> ed1: address 00:c0:f0:2a:7c:29, type NE2000 (16 bit)

This would explain why the KNE30 series is so cheap :-(

>  My first question is, why is it listing it as a (16 bit) card?

Probably a leftover from the ISA probe.

>  My second question is why is it so slow to the first stop (router)
> outside of my box..   traceroute:
>
>  1  badboy.ieway.com (204.188.52.1)  1.991 ms  2.094 ms  2.094 ms
>
> This new system is also on a new provider.

Hm, by comparison, I get ~.7 pinging my Cisco, hitting a hub and a switch
first. What kind of router is your router, anyway?

> My old system on the old provider with a true 16 bit card running 2.2.5
> (compared to 2.2.6 of the new system) pulls traceroutes to te first router
> at times of less then .5 ms
>
> When the old system and the new system was on the same hub, I could pull
> files from the old system to the new system at the rate of over 1MB/sec.
>
>  According to the Kingston manual,
>   PCI transfer up to 132 MB/sec
>  EISA transfer up to  33 MB/sec
>   ISA transfer up to   8 MB/sec

This is ideal on a quiet network.  Fat chance.

> So, my major question is, is it the card, settings, or new provider that
> would be slowing down the works?

Run a tcpdump and see how busy your network is.  The more hubs you go
through the slower it gets, and cheap crappy hubs really push that RTT up.

>  Also, is there a way to do a flood test on the ethernet card to see how
> well it handles it's self?

ping -f from another UNIX box, but don't do this during the middle of the
day.

>  BTW, GREAT job on 2.2.6, had no problems getting the OS to run, and I see
> a few nasty bugs are fixed, mainly the : anyuser can freeze up the machine
> with a simple kill command :).

Neat :)

> Also, I have run many other test's, trying to break the OS (mainly
> scripts that run commands and also spawn other process's that do the
> same) and the OS ends up freezing the scripts before the system freezes
> up.

Die, you silly forkbombs!  :-)

> As far as a server goes, FreeBSD seems to be VERY stable, as most
> questions on this list are focasing on home or at least user-at-console
> use.

Running as designed.