Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:54:39 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        takCoder <tak.official@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apply /etc/ttys changes on system

In the last episode (Jun 19), takCoder said:
> Is there any way to apply /etc/ttys changes on system, except for
> *restarting system* and *running kill -HUP 1* command ?
>
> Due some reasons, i need to change tc value of some of my ttys,
> periodically. I'm looking for a safer way than *kill -HUP 1* command. So,
> as this command is not a good one to be used often, any ideas are really
> appreciated. I couldn't find any other one so far..

Why is "kill -HUP 1" unsafe?  It's documented in init's manpage:

     Line status (on, off, secure, getty, or window information) may be
     changed in the ttys(5) file without a reboot by sending the signal
     SIGHUP to init with the command ``kill -HUP 1''.  On receipt of this
     signal, init re-reads the ttys(5) file.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com