Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:36:39 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are you sure?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:59:30PM -0700, Ken McGlothlen wrote:
> Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> | Okay, Ken. I'm downloading the four ISO images now.
>
> Okay.  May I just gently point out that it's not necessary to do that?  You're
> gonna get a LOT of stuff with those ISO images, and not all of it is going to
> stay relevant for long.  Sure, we're starting you off with 4.5-RELEASE, but
> we're gonna try to get you to the point where you're tracking 4.5-STABLE before
> long.

	Bfore I wise up and gt some sleep for a change, let me ask
	a fairly obvious qauestion::  why can't Mark just do a binary
	upgrade or installl?

	Mark, if you've got the 3.3 <whatever> WEB tool backup up
	or otherwise safe, you can just blow away the older installation,
	install v4.5 (either src or binary) and then have fun just-
	learning Berkeley Unix.  Get X11 up; pull over several GUI
	ports and build them:

	  #make install clean

	and then read.  There are a gzillion tutorials out there;
	most exceptionally well written/

	I don't know what this "professional programmr" friend was
	smoking, but his computer was either a vic-20 or DOG/Doze.

	enuf.  good morning, europe; good night to the rest f
	western washington state,

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix