Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:17:52 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing from cvsup to cvs for -CURRENT

I used to update my src and ports using cvsup.

Having seen the light I am trying to change to using cvsup
for updating the repository and then cvs to update my src
and ports trees.

Eventually I would like to change to using CTM for the repo
and then cvs for update my src and ports trees.

My supfile that I use with cvsup to update the repo is:

> cat my-supfile
*default host=cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/scratch/Repository
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix umask=002
*default compress
src-all
ports-all
doc-all

I then have CVSROOT set to "/scratch/Repository" and I was
populating /usr/src as an unprived user like so:

cd /usr
cvs checkout src

cd /usr/src
make buildworld etc etc etc etc

Sometime later after more fixes to -CURRENT I would
> cvsup my-supfile
to update the repo and then:

cd /usr
cvs checkout src    <--- Am I meant to use cvs update src here ?

Whether I use cvs update or cvs checkout, I'm finding that my
/usr/src/UPDATING file is an old version compared to the file
UPDATING,v in the repository.

Reading the manual page of cvs just confused me.

I think there is a need for a Handbook entry on this.
When will the FAQ die cause its confusing to have the
handbook and the FAQ.

Please help!