Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:44:54 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        marius@alchemy.franken.de
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kldxref: bad address

Apparently, On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 05:05:06PM +0100,
	marius@alchemy.franken.de said words to the effect of;

> While updating from a October 20 -current to a October 27 one I got
> the following error at the installkernel-stage:
>
> ===> xl
> install -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_xl.ko /boot/kernel
> kldxref /boot/kernel
> kldxref: error while reading /boot/kernel/3dfx.ko: Bad address
> kldxref: error while reading /boot/kernel/accf_data.ko: Bad address
> kldxref: error while reading /boot/kernel/accf_http.ko: Bad address
> kldxref: error while reading /boot/kernel/agp.ko: Bad address
> kldxref: error while reading /boot/kernel/aha.ko: Bad address
> kldxref: error while reading /boot/kernel/aio.ko: Bad address
> <...>
>
> This problem persists after the update when installing a kernel
> built the usual way (`config`, `make depend all install`).

This is a known problem.  kldxref is making invalid assumptions about
reading variables from object files before they are relocated.  Due to
the way that kldxref was written this is not entirely easy to fix.

Jake