Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 04:42:57 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: graphics/transcode and IDE DVD-drives

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

>>>Is the combination in subject supposed to work? On my -stable system,
>>>I keep getting:
>>>
>>>	root@celsius:/home/mi (106) tcprobe -i /dev/racd0a
>>>	file read error: Invalid argument
>>>	[tcprobe] unknown file type
>>>	[tcprobe] filetype/codec not yet supported by 'tcprobe'
>>>	root@celsius:/home/mi (107) tcprobe -i /dev/acd0c
>>>	file read error: Invalid argument
>>>	[tcprobe] unknown file type
>>>	[tcprobe] filetype/codec not yet supported by 'tcprobe'
>>
>>Have you tried a 'tcprobe -i /mountpoint/of/dvd-drive' yet ?
>

> Mmm, no... I presumed, this should result in EBUSY, should not it?
>
> But now that you mention it, I tried it, and it does work -- against
> all odds:
>
 > [...]
>
> Why wouldn't it work when the disk is not mounted? Thanks!

I don't know really, but my offhand guess is that transcode, being a
very linux-centric project, really only knows how to deal with linux'
devices. However, since the actual dvd-ripping/parsing is done by
libdvdread, which obviously has more portable code, things work anyway
because transcode just feeds the devicename it gets from fstab to
libdvdread. Like I said, offhand guess, I didn't look at the code (yet).

While I'm at it: I just recently received some private mail about the
same issue: dvdrip, which is also in the ports-collection and also uses
transcode to access DVDs, wants a 'DVD Device' in it's configuration
dialog. Like with transcode itself, specifying the devicename of the DVD
drive won't work, but the mountpoint will.

Regards,
--
Michael Nottebrock