Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:56:49 +0300
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        "Devin Smith" <devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: measure traffic passed on an interface

It possible to view traffic passed on an interface in
some different ways:

1. netstat -i
2. ipfw s (also you have to set up IP Firewall rules)
3. ipfstat -iona
4. ... some others

The main problem is following: this tools just output
amount of traffic, and don't store it to database (and
this is correct).

So, you need to write own scripts to process this raw
data from this programs. Or install additional software
from the FreeBSD ports collection, for example.

I suggest to use IPA (ports/sysutils/ipa).