Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:53:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   libgcc_pic is gone (affects Wine port)

Due to a serious bug in the port of GCC used in the base system
(see <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=21983>) I and
probably others had to explicitly link against libgcc_pic.

This bug has been fixed (around 4.2-RELEASE), but also libgcc_pic is
gone now, though I'm not sure whether that is directly related.

So, what is a "portable" way of compiling sources both on 4.1-RELEASE
and 5.0-CURRENT? On the former I need libgcc_pic, on the latter there
is no libgcc_pic at all.

Or, as this mainly affects the Wine port, should I just ignore older
versions of FreeBSD? Does 4.2-RELEASE already have the fix to PR 21983?

Gerald