Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:29:50 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "too many files open"?

Well.. the network on this machine is incompletely configured, but Samba is
installed. I found that there were lots of nmbd processes running. I
commented out the appro lines in inetd.conf. This might explain the "too
many open files".

Building Code Crusader (and Gwydion Dylan 2.x) still takes hours -- more
than eight running them concurrently. I'm reinstalling with a seperate
100meg /var (I coulldn't cd /var ; mv * /usr/var) and will link /tmp to
/usr/tmp..

If this still doesn't work, I'll find another home for the 2gig fat and go
closer to a "dangerously dedicated" hard drive..

 ..Jay