Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:26:07 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        Gabor Esperon <gesperon@yahoo.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What database i can use?

At 08:51 AM 12/24/99 -0800, Gabor Esperon wrote:
>I need a good database server in my network, Under
>FreeBSD 3.3
>
>What is recommended: Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL or
>another?

Oracle for linux under freebsd is really tough to setup.  I have not
finished setting it up yet and the compatibility mode does not take
advantage of the linux threads either.  Mysql is fast and nice but I think
the lack of transactions and sub selects a bit tacky.  <shrug>  Lots of
people tell me it is easy to get around it.  I think it is inherently a
problem for a more reliable database, however, their web site mentions ways
to get around recovery without transactions.  Postgresql is my personal
'favorite' since they seem more compliant to the SQL standards.  It is a
touch slower than mysql on some operations though.

-Carroll Kong