Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:57:23 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Jos Backus <J.G.E.Backus@urc.tue.nl>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current PPP question

[.....]
> > Also, you probably should upgrade to the version on
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian.  AFAIR, the select() problem you
> > mentioned was caused by a long-since-fixed bug in libalias.
>
> Hm, I have been under the impression that -current has the latest fixes to
> ppp. Guess I was wrong :) By the way, I cvsupped and rebuilt the world on
> Saturday, so I assumed that I was fairly up-to-date.
>
> I will pick up the ppp at ~brian and try that.

Ah, the version in -current is essentially the same :-/  I've been
doing a lot of work recently on ppp in the MP branch.  It's getting
to a reasonable stable state now, but I noticed lots of stuff while I
was there - the select() stuff is quite different now, and the -current
version leaves lots of room for errors (it's possible for example
that the modem file descriptor is closed after it's added to the
FD_SET and before the select() is done - producing the sort of error
you mentioned).

It won't be long now before the MP branch stuff gets rolled back into
-current - I think it works client-side, but I can't test 'till I get
it working server-side :-)

I would have though the best way to do the client-side dial back is
to have a ppp.linkup that says

annex:
  quit all

That way, once authentication is complete, ppp quits.  This works in
the MP branch, but I suspect the command may be ignored in the
-current version :-(  You could always do a quick fix to the
QuitCommand() function in command.c....

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jos Backus                     _/  _/_/_/        "Reliability means never
>                               _/  _/   _/         having to say you're sorry."
>                              _/  _/_/_/                -- D. J. Bernstein
> jbackus@urc.tue.nl      _/_/   _/_/_/             use Std::Disclaimer;

Cheers.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;