Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 23:41:33 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Oscar Castaneda <oscarcvt@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realtek 8019, supported on fbsd4.3?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 03:10:04PM -0600, Oscar Castaneda wrote:
> im installing freebsd 4.3-stable on an isa-bussed 486 for a firewall
> following marty schlacter's howto.
> I have two ethernet cards, an NE2000 compatible and a realtek 8019. Ive
> asked questions based on my previous idea that both cards where NE2000.
>
> Now that i've realized one of the is rl i was wondering if the 8019 is

Actually the 8019 *is* probably NE2000 compatible and should use the
same device anyway.  The 'rl' driver seems to be for cards based on RTL
8129 or 8139.  The RTL 8019 (isa) or 8029 (pci) both use the 'ed'
driver.  (Same as for NE2000.)

> supported. Additionally, when adding support for my second nic, then
> recompiling the kernel, then hitting space bar to configure the settings for
>
> the 2nd nic --> what values should i use?

Depends on the card. If it is Plug-and-play you shouldn't need to
specify any values at all. Things like IRQ and IO-port should be picked
up automatically.  Otherwise you will have to find out what values the
card uses.  This might either be set by jumpers on the card or you
might have to run a (usually MS-DOS based) program to set the values
for the card.  Check the manual for the card for details on how to do
that.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson