Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:49:05 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fixit.flp on a Serial Console

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 02:14:19AM +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> "Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> > At this point I am prompted to go to VTY4 and type 'exit' when I am
> > done with the shell... Erm, umm, how does one switch to VTY4 on a
> > serial console? I don't think there is such a thing on a serial boot.
> >
> > Anyone have some help for me? How do I recover the system from a
> > serial console? The system on the HDD will not boot to the console.
>
> Yeah, it *is* a cute one <g>.
>
> You don't happen to have a Wyse or Televideo lying around? One of
> the later crops with PC emulation?

No this is a home box. The serial console is a null modem to a
notebook PC. I could break down and move the box (no way I'm carrying
my 19" monitor around), but what is stopping me is that I have got all
of the wiring perfect on the boxes its stacked with... and of course,
it is on the bottom of the stack.

> Don't know if it would work, but it's worth a shot.

Haven't got the hardware.

> PS how about a PicoBSD bootflop?

I was thinking about it. Never built a PicoBSD release before.

It seems like it should not be too hard. The troubled machine boots up
fine into multi-user with a 'login:' on the console. The problem is
that there is some corruption in the login database and no users can
get past the 'login:'. I need to get to single-user, but even though I
get a serial console once I'm in multi-user, I don't get the boot
prompt or messages to the serial console to break into single-user.

Any other ideas are welcome.