Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:31:57 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32 bit compatability

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 03:37 pm, Ken Lowther wrote:
> I have been reading the archives on this issue and am getting some
> info bit by bit.
>
> I am running 5.3 Release amd64
>
> I have edited /etc/make.conf  and added:
> WITH_LIB32=YES
>
> I have edited my version of MYKERNEL to  include :
> options         SMP
> options         QUOTA
> options         COMPAT_IA32             # Compatible with i386
> binaries (last one in by default)
>
> Did make depend, make, and make insall.
>
> Rebooted.  Kernel looks like it installed because quotas now work:
>
> hostserv1# quota -v
> Disk quotas for user root (uid 0):
>      Filesystem   usage   quota   limit   grace   files   quota
> limit   grace
>           /home  130108       0       0            3660       0
> 0 /usr    1054978       0       0           67161       0       0
> /var           6580       0       0            1031 0       0
>
> I gather this means the kernel suports the 32 bit compat mode from
> the posts I have seen so far:
>
> hostserv1# sysctl kern.elf32
> kern.elf32.fallback_brand: -1
> hostserv1#
>
> After this I seem to be lost.  I have seen references to various
> things, but bottom line, where do I go from here.  The script under
> tools is obsolete now?  install32.sh?  I get the impression that this
> stuff was supposed to compile with the kernel but Google doesn't help
> me find any one place that is a step by step walk through.

The 32 bit libraries are built as part of buildworld/installworld.
However, if you still have a fresh world laying around, you might be
able to build just the libraries part like this:
cd /usr/src;
make build32
make install32

If you have any trouble, then do a full buildworld etc and they will be
included with it.