Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 01:03:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, simba7@access1.net
Subject:   Re: 40 Gb disk acting strange (was: No subject)

James Shaw <simba7@access1.net> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 >   I've been having trouble getting a 40Gb Maxtor to keep a file system after
 > an incorrect shutdown. I have these configurations:
 > [...]
 > 40Gb Maxtor     31995Mb     /fserv1     <-- Problem Area
 > 40Gb Maxtor     7654 Mb     /fserv2
 >
 > How can I keep /fserv1 from acting strange after an abrupt shutdown? Do I need
 > to shrink it down a bit? I'm running a HP Vectra 5/90 Series 4 w/16Mb EDO RAM
 > (Intel FX Chipset). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Are the following things true:
(1) It is an IDE drive?
(2) You're using FreeBSD 3.x with the "wd" driver?
(3) The drive is not running in LBA mode?

If you answer 3 × "yes":  There is a known problem with the
wd driver under 3.x when using filesystems that are larger
than approx. 27 Gbyte.  The problem might only occur if the
drive operates in LBA mode.  The symptoms can range from
failing newfs to I/O errors when accessing the filesystem.

I'd recommend that you try switching the drive to LBA mode,
then re-partition and news.  If that doesn't help, make the
partitions smaller than 27 Gbyte.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)